Sunday, May 24, 2009

Book Review





I read a lot of books and love going to the Harold Washington Chicago Public Library. Breathing in the scent of library books is a glorious thing. The memories and thought of new memories with each breath makes you truly appreciate public libraries.
I have a long list of all the books I'd love to read someday and it continues to grow bigger and bigger.
Currently, I'm reading Ian McEwan's book, "Atonement". It was adapted for the movies a few years ago, but the book is marvelous. McEwan has been compared to Jane Austen not only because of his style of writing, but because of the characters and their dynamics.
"Atonement" is set in 1935 and during WWII. It examines a little girl and how she misunderstands a very adult situation that forever changes all the character's lives. I'm a little biased reading this book since I've already seen the movie, but it's completely different.
I don't really "rate" books, I just tell people my opinion of them, since everyone's scale of ratings are different.
But I have to tell you, I love this book. It does in fact take time to read, it's not a breezy book that you can flip through. It's gorgeously written and tells a tale of heartache and adolescence. It is heart wrenching.

No comments:

Post a Comment